Saturday, October 22, 2011

Communism in Minecraft

I'm not here to start any arguments, but on paper, communism is an astoundingly great idea. Unfortunately, every communist leader to date has been quite the failure and has not practiced communism well at all, which I believe is where this governmental form finds its fatal flaw -- execution. There is no way to execute communism well in real life because of the basic, unchangeable natures in all human beings. This draws a little far from the topic at hand, but I joined a server recently in Minecraft where they decided to use gold as a currency. One hundred gold bars could buy you any sized plot of land to found your own city, so I saved up and bought the equivilant of three chunks of land and walled it up, built severl community farms, roads, and divided it up into equal sized plots. Then, I made a server wide announcement stating that living in my town was 100% free and that you only had to obey the rules of the community, which I had set into motion. Needless to say, the offer appealed to more than a few people, and so they gave up everything to move into my town, which I named Ebonhart. One of the rules stated that since everything was provided, all money would given to me. Think of it as a tax of sorts. So here I am, with the largest town on the server with nine tenths of the people living in it. I am also the richest, so I use the money that I got to buy two nearby towns and I turned them into strip mines essentially and told the people they could keep whatever they found if they dug to bedrock in a 50x50 square in one of the towns. This hole has no purpose, but I only wanted to see if I could make it happen, and I did. I have a digital slave labor of fifteen Minecraft players all because I give free food and shelter. I feel like a pharaoh.

2 comments:

  1. Scary....accepting communism for children. No one is free. I want to be free. Diligent hands will always produce wealth. Why should I work hard to give my wealth to a dictator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get them to build a giant in game likeness of you emphatically gesturing towards the future.

    ReplyDelete